If you often travel to abroad, then passport is necessary and important document for you. No matter whether you travel for a vacation, family visit or business.
Not only for international travel, but it also represents passport holder’s identity as Indian citizen as well as address proof.
In India, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) handles the process of issuing Indian passports to all eligible citizens of India as per the Passport Act (1967).
It actually certifies that the bearer is a citizen of India by birth and can travel to foreign countries.
There are more than 93 passport offices in India to issue passports. The Indian passport services are provided through Passport Seva Kendras (PSK) and Central Passport Organization (CPO).
Ways to apply for passport
Normally, there are 2 ways to apply for passport in India, Online and Offline.
However, online passport application at the official website of Passport Seva is much more easy and fast than offline process.
After that, you have to book an appointment at any nearby Passport Seva Kendras or Reginal Passport Office (RPO) to get a new passport.
Also, passport seva online allows you to pay the passport fees in form of online payment or challan payment.
Step-by-step guidance on how to apply for passport online
Applying for the passport was the overwhelming process so far. But, as the time changes, working of government departments has also changed.
To give more transparent and comfortable passport services, in 2007, MEA has launched the Passport Seva Project (PSP), under which it has set many PSKs for passport application process.
Now, it’s no more a headache for you to apply for the passport with the freaky thought’s guided runway!
Online passport application process
Follow the step-by-step guidance if you’re planning to apply for passport online in India:
Step 1: Registration and Login
This is the first step of online passport application.
- First, take a look to the official website of Passport Seva: www.passportindia.gov.in
- If you are an existing user, login with your user ID and password.
- Register, if you don’t have account by clicking on the orange tab “New User? Register Now” on left side.
- This will open following registration form:
- Fill in the required (*) fields, enter the security captcha code and click on “Register” button.
- This will give you a registration confirmation. To activate the account, click on the link in email sent to your email id.
- Once your account is activated, sign in to your account with Login Id and password you have chosen.
Step 2: Select Application Type
The next step in the online passport application is to select application type.
- You’ll be redirected to “Applicant Home” after successful login.
- Here, you’ll see many options. For new passport / reissue passport, click on the “Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport” option.
- You’ll find 2 options here to fill the passport application form.
- Directly fill the form online.
- Or, download the e-form (soft copy of the form) to fill it offline and upload later.
- If you want to apply for passport online, great then! “Click here to fill the application form online” option is for you.
Step 3: Filling Online Passport Application Form
Now, start filling online passport application.
- Select your state and district.
- Next, you’ll be asked to choose passport type like: applying for, type of application and type of passport booklet.
- After you choose relevant options, move to enter applicant details.
- Enter all the required details such as, you name, gender, date of birth etc…
- Check the “yes” box and agree the terms and condition.
- The next screen will be about your family details. Fill the space where applicable.
- Moving ahead is present residential address. Enter all necessary details:
- Before saving the application form, make sure you have selected correct Reginal Passport Office (RPO), as later it’ll not be changed and you have to visit Application Submission Center lies under the RPO chosen by you.
- Next is emergency contact page where you can enter details of other person in case of emergency.
- Select the options of few passport details and identity certificate from Identity Certificate/Passport Details section.
- The next page will take you to the other details section, where you’ll get asked about certain scenarios of yourself.
- In passport verification detail, verify your basic details such as your name, address, date of birth, etc. these are the details to be printed on your passport. After verification, click on next.
- Self declaration is the page where you need to select the proof of birth and present residential address.
- If you like to hear from Passport Seva, then tick mark the “yes” option for “passport seva sms service”. It will cost you 50 rs. Or else, agree the terms and condition, save the details and submit the form.
- That’s it. The passport application online is done! You’ll soon receive application reference number (ARN).
Step 4: Pay the fees and Book an Appointment
After successfully completing the passport application, next step is to pay the fees and book an appointment at the nearest PSK or Passport Seva Kendra.
Passport fees depends on what type of passport and service you pick. For example, a fresh/re-issue adult passport (36 pages) fee is Rs. 1,500, while Rs. 3,500 for Tatkaal passport.
See full passport fee structure here.
- Go to Applicant Home -> View Saved/Submitted Applications.
- Here, you’ll find your details in tabular form like: Applicant name, ARN and submission date.
- On selecting the radio button besides the ARN number, you’ll be able to see many options, including Pay and Schedule Appointment or Schedule Appointment (in case payment is already done).
- To initiate the payment process, applicant need to click on “pay and schedule option”.
- This will ask you to choose mode of payment. The screenshot I have put in the starting of this step.
- There are 2 payment modes: Online Payment (via credit card, debit card, internet banking) and Challan Payment (cash payment at SBI branch).
- Choose whichever option suits you and click on Next button.
- On this page, you will see the “Schedule Appointment” tab.
- You have to select several options like appointment quota (Normal or Tatkaal), convenient passport seva Kendra or PSK.
- Applicant can see all the available dates for an appointment at PSKs for that Regional Passport Office (RPO).
- Pick the convenient date and time and select “Pay and Book Appointment”.
- After successful payment through SBI Multi Option Payment System, your appointment will be booked at selected PSK.
- You’ll receive the appointment confirmation and appointment number with an application receipt.
Step 5: Print ARN (application) Receipt
The last step in the process of apply for passport online is to get your application receipt printed. Print out the ARN receipt by choosing “Print Application Receipt” displayed in appointment confirmation screen.
Read the instructions carefully on the ARN receipt and carry it along with you while visiting Passport Seva Kendra on given appointment date and time.
Now, you need to visit PSK on appointment day followed by several procedures over there and police verification process.
Hope this blog will help you to get a straight way to your passport in India.
We’ll see what documents you need to carry and what is the procedure inside Passport Seva Kendra in my next blogs.
Till then, stay connected with us!